Theology of Suffering

I watched an interview with Bill Johnson of Bethel Church a few weeks ago. In it, he said that it's always God's will to heal in sickness and suffering.  He said he refuses to add "if it's your will" to his prayers because, "that would be a prayer of unbelief, since God has already revealed that healing is always his will to heal." 

I don't know if he truly believes that or if he is intentionally deceiving people, but it is terrible theology.  It may sound loving and “positive” and kind, but it’s actually quite hurtful.


On his website, Johnson states, “How can God choose not to heal someone when He already purchased their healing?” He continues, “He already decided to heal … There are no deficiencies on His end … All lack is on our end of the equation.”


Before I explain why this theology is hurtful, let me explain why it's wrong.  It isn't just a little bit off.  Not like an error that has drifted a little and needs tweaked back to center by the Word (we’re all guilty of that at times).  It's more like complete opposite teaching to what is biblical. Not only is it not always God's will to heal, but he often chooses to use pain and sickness and suffering for his glory (and our growth).


6 reasons why this theology is wrong.  Let the scriptures speak for themselves!

 

1. We are taught to rejoice in our sufferings because of what is being produced in us.  How can we rejoice in our sufferings if our theology says pain and suffering is due to a "lack on our end"?  How can we be thankful for what is being produced during suffering if we believe suffering should be avoided and extinguished?  


More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame… (Romans 5:3-5)


Count it all joy my brothers when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.  (James 1:2-4)


I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake... (Col 1:24)


This momentary affliction is preparing an eternal weight of glory beyond comparison (2 Cor 4:17)


2. If the priority is always on healing, relief, alleviation, etc, our focus is always on ourselves rather than God's glory and purposes.  To deny ourselves, pick up our crosses and follow Jesus daily means we keep our eyes off our "wants" and embrace however he chooses to work, and to use us.  I realize this is easier said than done.  But put bluntly, it is selfish and short-sighted for a Christian to prioritize their own well being over God's purposes.


To keep me from being conceited, a thorn was given to me... Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor 12:7-10)


Whoever doesn't take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me... (Matthew 10:38)


Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name. (Acts 5:41)


Don't be surprised at the fiery trial... (1 Peter 4:12-13)


Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial... (James 1:12)


3. God’s desire is that we love him, follow him, worship him, trust him, need him, and depend on him.  We often do all of the above better and more genuinely, when we're suffering in some way.  This explains why missionaries who have experienced capture and even torture, or any Christian who has faithfully persevered though a season of suffering, will often say they oddly “miss” those difficult days.  In times of suffering we depend on God in a deeper way, and we are sanctified in a deeper way.     


For this is a gracious thing, when, mindful of God, one endures sorrows while suffering unjustly. (1 Peter 2:19)


This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life. (Psalm 119:50)


But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. (1 Peter 3:14)


My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. (2 Cor 12:9)


Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)


He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. (Isaiah 40:29)


4. Christ himself suffered in this life, and he is our example.


For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. (1 Peter 2:21)


We are afflicted in every way... so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. (2 Cor 4:8-10)


Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same way of thinking, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin... (1 Peter 4:1)


5.  Suffering is promised and guaranteed for Christians.  It is a badge of honor. It is a calling and a privilege to join Christ in his sufferings.


It has been granted to you, for the sake of Christ, that you should suffer... (Phi 1:29)


Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted... (2 Timothy 2:12)


That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death... (Phi 3:10)


Many are the afflictions of the righteous... (Psalm 34:19)


6. Our only hope for a life without pain and suffering is in the resurrected body!  Why would we pursue it or expect it to come before that?  


If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied. (1 Cor 15:19)


He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” (Rev 21:4)


But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body… (Phi 3:20-21)


There are heavenly bodies and there are earthly bodies… sown in weakness and raised in power… 1 Cor 15 (whole chapter)


Here's why this theology is hurtful

Indeed, it is a natural human desire to want pain to go away.  And, as the lie goes, it seems that a loving God would want us to be healthy, happy, and healed.  But as we’ve seen from the abundance of scriptures above, God doesn’t see things through human logic.  If he did, there surely would have been a better way to deal with sin then by sending his son to die in our place - a brutal and terrible death by crucifixion.


But our all knowing and all powerful God, in all his mysterious sovereignty, uses pain and suffering for his glory!  And our growth!  Which is why this theology bent on health and healing is actually hurtful.  


Under this belief system, rather than recognizing and emphasizing God's purposes in suffering, the sufferer is actually led to feel ashamed for their condition.  Bill Johnson's claim that anything short of healing reveals a "lack on our end" leads to no other conclusion.  God sees human sickness, weakness, and deficiency as a means for all glory and fame to be directed to himself.  But this false theology of health and healing steals this precious opportunity from the sufferer... leaving him/her feeling condemned.


A story I witnessed that speaks into this

A dear friend of mine once received some crushing news of a life-altering diagnosis on his only son.


The son, 14 years old at the time, was a talented soccer player in our academy with a bright future both academically and athletically.  For a few weeks he had experienced serious back pain, and it had gotten to the point where it was excruciating.  X-rays revealed a curvature in his spine so severe that the doctors determined he would need to wear a body brace ("Milwaukee brace") for the next 2-3 years, 23 hrs per day, leaving only an hour for shower and therapy.


It was devastating news.  I was there when the doctors explained it to the family.  The boy broke out into tears, falling into his dad's arms and asked "why dad, why?" over and over again. His mom and sisters were sobbing.


Before I explain what happened next, I should say that this young man's father is the most Christ-like man I have ever met.  He knows God's Word better than anyone I know.  He has endured suffering in his own life for the glory of God, and is the most joyful worshipper of Jesus I know.  He also, important to note,  very much believes that God can and does sometimes heal! 


But in this moment of great pain and concern and emotion, he did not pray for healing of his son.  He did not assure his son that God would heal him or even that God can heal him.  What he did was one of the most precious and selfless and Christ-exalting things I have ever seen.


The confident way he spoke got the attention of all in the room.  He asked his crying son to calm down, and look him in the eyes.  And he said with a smile and hopeful voice, "Son, if God has chosen you for this, it is because he has incredible purpose in it.  We must rejoice and be excited and honored that he would choose to use you to suffer for his glory!”


For me personally it was one of those moments where time kinda stopped for a second. I wasn't expecting that at all.  I was totally dumbfounded.  It's not that I disagreed, I totally agreed.  What hit me was that it was his FIRST thought.  Before any concern for "what this means for us”, the moment was all about God's glory - immediately.  Not the challenges that lie ahead, or getting a second opinion, or even praying for healing.  His first thought wasn't his son's physical well being, but rather his spiritual well being.  Even more, how God might use his son for his own glory and purposes.


THAT, my friends, was an accurate biblical response to sickness and suffering.  I'm not arguing for a theology that says it's wrong to seek or ask for healing.  Not at all.  (In fact, you can click here to see how that story ended.)  But a good biblical position on suffering would never suggest that God prefers healing over suffering to bring glory to himself.


In summary

Bill Johnson said adding “if it’s your will” to his prayers would be a “prayer of unbelief.”  I find that to be tragic!  In reality it takes a much greater belief to joyfully accept whatever it is that God’s plans and purposes may be - whether sickens or health, life or death. 


And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”  Matthew 26:39


As Christians we are to put all our trust and belief in the Lord, no matter what the outcome is for us in this life.  Unlike Johnson says, we cannot know in every situation whether God wants to use suffering or healing to declare his glory.  What we can do, like my friend did beautifully that day, is put ourselves and our families at the altar and say “use us as you see fit, for your glory.”


Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases. Psalm 115:3


Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand. Proverbs 19:21


Whatever the Lord pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.  Psalm 135:6


I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things.  Isaiah 45:7


What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. Romans 9:14-16



Comments