Madisson and the voice of Jesus

Posted by: Kerrie

A few months ago our family decided to spend Christmas morning giving out wrapped presents to the homeless. We asked the kids what type of gifts they would like to buy and discussed different ideas as a family. We mostly decided on jackets, travel pillows, electronic pocket games and snacks. Madisson however wanted to something a little different. The following is her journal entry about her Christmas morning experience. She is 10yrs old.  These are her exact words.

David (a guy sitting at a bus stop)

 
*Before this, when we had decided to give presents to homeless people, I had said I wanted to give a backpack with a blanket, pillow, a game, and a Bible. My dad told me no, that we really wanted to give out seperate gifts. My mom protested and told my dad to let me do it - it might be God telling it to me. Dad then agreed. She was right.

On Christmas morning, the first person we met was David. It was cold and rainy. We parked and Dad, Jake and Brooke got out of the car. Mom and I stayed in the car. Dad, Jake and Brooke took a Christmas present to him. The present held a shirt/jacket. One of the first things David said was, "Well yeah I'd like a Christmas present, I just got robbed last night. They took my backpack and everything I owned was in it." My dad was shocked, and said, "Well...we have a backpack!" David was excited and said, "You do!" Dad ran to the car and whispered, "Madi, Madi, he needs a backpack!" I reached behind and grabbed the backpack and we all got out and I gave it to David. He was very excited and said he had had one almost the same as the one I gave him. The backpack was black and gray, with the word Rebok on the front. Inside we put gum, granola bars and packs of peanuts. I also put a black and gray fleece jacket, a pillow and a pocket poker game. We talked and prayed with him and then we all hugged him. At first I didn't want to hug him. But Brooke and Jake hugged him first and it would be weird if I didn't hug him too, so I hugged him and then we left. After we left we drove around looking for more homeless people. We got to see him again while we drove around, and the first time we saw him he already had the black and gray fleece jacket on and he was holding up the first present we gave him, another jacket/shirt. The second time we drove by and saw him he had put on both jackets and was playing poker. That shows his thankfullness. Then we were driving later and saw him again, he was walking to the salvation army. He had told us that on cold nights they let you sleep there. When we first saw David, he had a mustache and a beard and didn't have many layers on. He looked cold.

God talked to me. He told me to get a backpack. Then we met David and God showed me why. That was a miracle.

Comments

Vicki said…
This is the most powerful beautiful story I have ever read.