guatemala update - august 18, 2008

Over coffee, Kerrie and I are sitting here wondering how so much could happen in less than a week.  The majority of the last 5 days is a blur in my mind.  It has been jam-packed chaos, running from one place to the next.   Getting somewhat settled into our home, trying to learn our way around the area, running back and forth to the markets and stores, setting up utilities, school orientation, language school registration, back to the airport to pick up George (our dog), and so much more.  Not that big of a deal…unless you can’t read street signs, and don’t speak the same language as the condominium guards, store clerks, market vendors, internet company workers, gas company workers, cell phone salesman, airport guards, propane guy, and the neighbors!  I guess we could have asked our contacts for help, but we decided to venture out and learn the hard way - by trial and error.

Mixed in with the chaotic fog of the last 5 days, there have been some wonderful moments where time seemed to stand still.  We have felt the Lords provision, and his protective covering over us.  And we have been blessed to receive some sweet expressions of his love.  I want to share just a couple of them with you.

When we visited Guatemala in April, we visited 4 potential places to live.  We chose the one that seemed the simplest.  It is closer the areas that we felt we’d most likely spend our time.  It was the fourth place we looked at, and when we drove up the entering street, and walked in the door, it just felt right.

Having not exercised in over a week, I got up this morning and headed out for a run.  I decided to explore the mountains behind our complex, and see if I could find any trails.  I followed the road that passes our home and winds down the mountain. I turned the corner of a path and was shocked to see a paved basketball court, beautifully staged in the side of the mountain.  I couldn’t believe it.  I stood there staring at this scene that just didn’t seem to fit.  Based on the location and surrounding environment, I would have never expected to see basketball court at this specific location!

Behind the courts, there were a couple of openings that appeared to be hiking trails, so I threw on my mp3 player and starting running.  The trails wound down, up and around the mountain.  I had to stop occasionally - partly to catch my breath - but mostly to look down the mountain and enjoy the incredible volcano views.  I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest.  As I soaked in the scenery, I realized the song “Made to Worship” was playing on my headphones.  Over the next 20 minutes, I jogged the trails while worshipping the Lord with every cell in my body.  I was humbled by his gift of the basketball courts and the beautiful trails, and feeling incredibly loved by Him.  I must have come close to a heart attack – the combination of being in awe of God, absorbed in a moment of worship, and excited to share the experience with Kerrie and the kids. 

Needless to say, when they saw everything, they were blown away too.  As we hiked the trails, Kerrie prayed, and eventually broke down into tears – sharing with us how loved and cared for she felt by God.  She loves mountains, trees, warm days and cool nights...and she felt as if, despite the tough week, the Lord was literally handing her some of her favorite things.

In another time and place, a basketball court and some hiking trails might seem rather uneventful.  But today it was huge.  This week has had a few difficult moments, and today brought a smile to our faces and lifted our spirits.  The fact that we had no idea (and never would have expected) this area to have such simple “amenities” made it that much sweeter…

One other thing.  To put this in proper perspective, know that we have been praying specifically for God to connect us with a Christian family or two in our neighborhood. 

Today, Jake ran inside to tell me some boys were playing soccer outside and he asked if he could go play.  Not even thinking about it, I said “sure.”  About 20 minutes later, I walked outside to make sure he and the Guate boys weren't playing star wars with machetes.  He was all the way down our street, playing with 2 other boys about his age.  The 3 of them had made a triangle and were simply kicking back and forth.

I walked down and met the dad, Winston.  He did not speak any English, but we tried.  I have no idea what he said to me, and I know he had no clue what I was saying to him.  It was comical.  Finally, he pointed to me (as if to say “hold on”) and ran inside.  He came back out with his wife and he was pointing at her saying “English, English.”  She introduced herself…in pretty solid English!

We talked for about 10 minutes.  Her name is Maria Fernandez, and she shared about her family and church…very sweet and soft spoken.  She asked where we were from, and why in the world we moved here from Florida.  After sharing briefly our reason for moving here, she was filled with excitement.  She told me how much her country needs the love of Jesus.  She said she is in a ladies group that meets twice a week, and they are looking for ways to help the local poor.  She asked if she could help us in our ministry, and said her group has collected clothes and food to help but they didn’t know where to start. I fought back tears.

Just a little while ago, we were finishing up dinner and saw Maria drive by.  A few seconds passed, and she reversed back and stopped in front of our house.  We met her at the door, and invited her inside.   I introduced her to Kerrie, and she greeted her with a kiss.  After some introductions, she explained…  “I stopped because as I was praying today and the Lord told me to come tell you that "I am yours to help you in any way possible."

In hindsight, Kerrie and I must have looked hilarious as we stood there frozen in disbelief.  I looked at Kerrie and saw her eyes tearing up.  Maria’s eyes were doing the same.  We have been here less than a week. We feel in awe of God's faithfulness. 

As a family, we sat and thanked God for our neighbors, for our home and the beautiful creation surrounding us.  The perfect timing of his kindness met us today.

We all start school tomorrow - Kerrie and the kids at the missionary school, and me at language school.  As we prepare our hearts and minds for school, please pray with us that we may continue abiding in Him and staying sensitive to however he leads.  

Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and support!

Comments